Saturday, January 8, 2011

First Days

These first few days have been so hard, but that's okay, because it's already getting better. And I'm trying to think of it as me being lucky that I'm so homesick, because everyone I left in the USA I loved so much.
So, the above girls are my roomies. Rachel is on my left. She is awesome. Gorgeous, as you can tell, and so nice! She and I are becoming closer. She has a twin sister next door named Chelsea, and they're identical, but I can tell them apart..so that means I'm a true friend :)
The brown haired girl next to me is Jessica, and the girl next to her is Kaitlin. They're darling. They have a lot of missionaries they're writing to, and lots of boys to keep straight, but it's fun. Note mom: I'm wearing my long skirt. And what the heck; people had shorter skirts..and everyone brought at least 5! Where did they find them!?
This is the view outside our window. Our rooms all face East Jerusalem and the Old City, and that's the Dome of the Rock, right outside! I can't wait to go there on a free day soon. The view is phenomenal. And sitting in Sacrament meeting, we look out at the city, learning about Christ, and it's amazing. The center is incredible, I really love it.
Not so great: the prayer call speakers are right outside my room, I swear, so they blare loud. I can't believe Muslims get up at 4:45 to pray!
I'm getting happier here, and am thankful every day that Heidi is here too, because she's great and hilarious and such a good friend.
But mostly I can't believe that I'm here! In Jerusalem!

7 comments:

  1. You look beautiful jess! And that view is amazing. Do you need someone to send you a camera and some more skirts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures! Please get a camera so we can keep seeing you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha p.s my word verification was "foolog" sounds like an insult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess!
    I am so happy you're blogging. I cannot believe you LIVE there and that is the view out your window!! Beats the swkt, doesn't it.
    I am glad you and heids have each other. And also aunt syd told me you guys couldn't upload pics, so I'm glad you can so we can see everything. Try to stay happy because it will fly by! And you will love it more and more as you get into just living life in Jeru. Can't wait to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess, that is so surreal! You are in JERUSALEM! I'm really excited to keep reading all about your adventures. Enjoy every moment. Love you!

    P.S. I dropped Spanish, so I'll give your books back to you in April. Thanks again for letting me borrow them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess, this is so great! My goodness what a great experience you get to have! You are walking where Christ walked. I love you and look to your great example daily. I'm excited to stay updated on your trip there.

    ReplyDelete